The Field Survey Technician is responsible for verifying the feasibility of a design and collecting detailed technical information about existing telecommunications network facilities, surface & subsurface utilities, and other geographic information to be incorporated into final Outside Plant designs.
The Field Survey Technician collects a variety of field data to support all types of OSP aerial and buried fiber optic and copper projects to be included in the design of conduit infrastructure and conducts appropriate research for permitting and right-of-way requirements.
Join the Ledcor Technical Services team today in Calgary, AB.
- Conducts field surveys and collects pertinent surface and subsurface features including: aerial & underground infrastructure features, telecommunications network facilities, and other geographic information required to complete desktop design. Fielding information will be added digitally to handheld devices and loaded to GIS/CAD systems.
- Conducts field and site visits to collect relevant project information including: dimensions & distances, exact measurements of existing equipment, site details, digital images, staking, etc. required to complete a design.
- Reads & interprets client cable records and facility drawings. Collects pertinent information for permit, easement, and encroachment applications.
- Submits an organized job package for each project that may include: maps, field notes, drawings, images, and GPS location of features.
- Interfaces with project coordinator teams for work assignments, establishing priorities and due dates.
- Performs inspections during and after construction to ensure compliance with original designs and customer specifications.
- Maintains compliance with the latest revisions of relevant Safety Codes, Electric Codes, customer practices and procedures, local and governmental jurisdiction and be in accordance with instructions supplied by customer.
- Support projects such as FTTH deployments, fiber-to-the-suite, greenfield residential and commercial developments.
- Experience in aerial and underground telecommunications design and construction practices.
- Reading and interpreting outside plant records (data, maps, fiber network designs)
- Conduct site walk for data collection of all surface features and underground utility data necessary to support the preparation of the construction drawings that are complete and suitable for construction
- Travel is required up to 75% of time; typically, not overnight.
- Understanding of current OSP design principles, work order procedures, and telecommunication industry standards.
- Prior experience with telecommunication OSP design or construction is an asset.
- General knowledge of technical equipment used for survey, utility locating, GPS data collection; general knowledge of CSA not required but preferred.
- Working knowledge of construction or telecom documents, drawings, specifications and current construction practices and methodology.
- Well-developed organizational, planning skills, and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks
- Strong interpersonal, communication and written skills.
- Excellent customer service focus and a team player.
- Strong knowledge of MS Office including Word, Excel, Power Point and Visio.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD is preferred.
- Working knowledge of construction or telecom documents, drawings, specifications and current construction practices and methodology
Ledcor Technical Services (LTS) designs, builds, and maintains wireline or wireless networks that span North America and beyond. We are a proven leader and innovator in telecommunications network construction, maintenance, and service installation and repair.
But when you work for Ledcor, your experience will go far beyond the project. Do you want a career that means more? Join our True Blue team now!
Ledcor is an equal-opportunity employer. We are committed to a policy of non-discrimination in all of our employment practices. We welcome and encourage applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of race, gender, disability or any other identifying characteristic.
Sep 18, 2020
1930 Maynard Road SE, Calgary, AB, Canada