As a Pole Line Designer, you are knowledgeable on various pole line analysis software and national / regional codes and standards. You will prepare conceptual designs routes, layouts and preliminary designs as well as detailed pole line designs under established guidelines and specifications. Also, you will provide technical support in the preparation of joint use aerial permits throughout Canada and the USA.
Apply today and join the Ledcor Technical Services team in Calgary, AB or Vancouver, BC!
- Prepare conceptual routes, layouts, preliminary designs as well as detailed pole line designs utilizing established guidelines and specifications
- Perform field pick-up of existing aerial plant (poles, anchors, cables, and messenger strand)
- Perform structure loading and clearance calculations based on existing and proposed plant
- Develop and modify design criteria utilizing industry standards and/or client specifications
- Develop procedures, processes and systems to optimize the field pick-up and design process
- Develop and modify pole loading drawings and construction drawings.
- Prepare overhead crossing or anchor permit applications
- Perform constructability reviews and provide construction support
- Consult with Design, Construction and other Departments on engineering matters
- Promotes a culture of health, safety and environmental protection on the project by taking an active role in the implementation of the Project Specific Safety Program (PSSP) to achieve compliance with Ledcor HS&E standards, applicable OSHA acts, regulations and codes
- Graduate from a Technical college program preferably in Structural or civil, Telecommunications or equivalent experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil/Structural, Electrical/Mechanical or related discipline from an accredited engineering school is an asset
- Minimum 2 years' experience pole line design experience, either in the power distribution or telecommunications industry
- Working knowledge of pole line design documents, drawings, specifications and current construction practices and methodology
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with CSA, AEUC, NESC codes and standards as well as specific client and municipal requirements
- Strong computer skills with an aptitude for learning new programs; familiar with AutoCAD, GIS (Google earth, ArcGIS), and MS Office. Proficiency in MS Excel required, preferably with working knowledge of Visual Basic macros.
- Experience with various pole line analysis software such as Quick Pole, SPIDAcalc and PLS CADD
- Registered as PEng or EIT, or eligible for registration with APEGBC, APEGA, PEO considered as an asset
- Successful completion of a criminal background check and pre-employment drug & alcohol requirements
- Office Based or remote work within 100km of home office
- Site project visits will be required
Ledcor Technical Services (LTS) designs, builds, and maintains wireline or wireless networks that span North America and beyond. We are a proven leader and innovator in telecommunications network construction, maintenance, and service installation and repair.
But when you work for Ledcor, your experience will go far beyond the project. Do you want a career that means more? Join our True Blue team now!
At Ledcor we believe diversity, equity, and inclusion should be part of everything we do. We are proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified individuals, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or any other identifying characteristic are encouraged to apply.
Our True Blue team consists of individuals from all backgrounds who contribute diverse perspectives and experiences to Ledcor. We are committed to continuing to build on our culture of empowerment, inclusion and belonging.
View our full Inclusion & Diversity statement here.
May 17, 2022
1930 Maynard Road SE, Calgary, AB, Canada